• Current registration with College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO)
• 3+ years experience in Mental Health & Addictions Nursing preferred
• Certification (CNA), Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing preferred, or willingness to obtain certification.
• Post diploma preparation, relevant to Psychiatric and Mental Health nursing preferred.
• Advanced de-escalation, Code White training preferred (training will be provided)
• Basic Rescuer, CPR
• Working knowledge of psychiatric and mental health disorders and related psychiatric/ psychosocial interventions and treatment models
• An understanding of the philosophy and principles of Recovery
• Working knowledge of current best practices related to treatment of Severely Mentally Ill persons.
• Comprehensive knowledge and experience in administration and/or monitoring of psychotropic medications
• Excellent interviewing skills (individual/group)
• Demonstrated group facilitation skills
• Strong skills in biopsychosocial assessments, care planning, crisis plans, psychiatric nursing interventions and complete outcome evaluation for individual care.
• Demonstrated ability to provide in depth mental health assessments, risk assessments, mental status examinations, and development of crisis, and discharge plans
• Case Management experience preferred, with ability to develop strong community agencies relationships
• Working knowledge of the Mental Health Act and Community Treatment Order Legislation, Privacy Act, Health Care Consent Act, and other relevant legislation.
• Knowledge of Community Resources preferred
• Strong consultation skills with Physicians, Community therapists, Support workers and families.
• Ability to work independently with consultation from multidisciplinary team members
• Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to engage in conflict resolution
• Excellent critical thinking, organizational and problem solving skills
• Good attendance record
• Orientation and Training will be provided to successful candidates
Grand River Hospital requires all new hires to submit a valid Criminal Record Check that may include a Vulnerable Sector Screen prior to start date.
Please be advised that we are no longer accepting paper-based resumes from external candidates. For instructions on how to apply on line, please visit our website www.grhosp.on.ca or you can find instructions posted on internal posting boards found within the hospital.
Grand River Hospital strives to create a respectful, accessible and inclusive work environment. Upon individual request, the hospital will endeavour to remove any barrier to the hiring process to accommodate those candidates with disabilities.
Grand River Hospital is committed to providing and fostering a respectful workplace for all employees, free from violence and harassment.